Are you saying that scrolling through Instagram before bed isn’t on the list? 😉 I’m always blown away by women who are able to handle so much. How do they handle full time jobs, kids, running a household, maintaining a healthy lifestyle, and finding time for self love. How do they do it? How do they allocate their time in a way that they’re able to tackle it all? They are normal humans just like us; there isn’t some sort of super power separating them from us. So what is the secret common denominator that these successful women have? So I went searching for women’s time management secrets, and I’ve put together a collection of all night-time routines I learned from successful women.
Who could use a little motivation? I sure can.
- Sleep – It goes without saying that the number 1 response was getting your beauty sleep. Allowing your body to properly rest & repair leaves us waking up ready to tackle the day with energy. I can definitely relate to this one as I used to have a mentality of ‘I’ll sleep when I’m dead.’ It wasn’t after I hit a couple of exhaustion burn outs that made me realize that I was making my body sick. I now make it a must to try and get 7-8 hours of sleep daily. It has become a priority over other things. I’ve even opted out of some plans because I preferred to rest instead. For a better sleep, some women recommend turning on an essential oils diffuser. I’ve actually adopted this night-time routine and I look forward to it each night! My favorite essential oils are Peppermint, Tee Tree, Lemongrass, Lavender, and Eucalyptus.
- Re-evaluating the day & keeping a to-do list for next day. Lauren Conrad’s advice is to keep a to-do list by our bed, so when we’re ready to sleep we can quickly evaluate what we tackled and what still needs to be actioned. That way we can keep ourselves organized and productive with what needs to get accomplished. We can then wake up the next day knowing exactly what needs to be accomplished, which diminishes wasted time by making us go right to the point! I wanted to add to Lauren’s point and include journaling too! Reflecting on the day, writing down our thoughts, and just expressing our feelings on paper is also a great way to conclude a busy day.
- A hot shower/bath. This sounds like the perfect way to wind down from a chaotic day. Taking a nice warm shower or bath, then slipping into comfy PJs and going straight to bed will make us sleep like a baby. I’ve done this pretty frequently, specially after a stressful day. And I’ve noticed how much better I sleep when I take a hot shower before bed. I also feel so much cozier! I love taking baths, I’ve started using this lavender bubble bath mixed with lavender essential oils. I’d also recommend epsom salt or bath bombs (newly into them!)
Below I’ve listed some of my favorite Pajamas this season that are cozy enough for a relaxing night of lounging around:
- Dinner with family. Sheryl Sandberg’s advice is to leave the office at the same time every night and make it home to dinner with family. Her advice shocked me a little bit, I always thought that she over-worked herself considering her incredible accomplishments (including writing this book), but she is a big advocate for family time & turning devices off before bed, which allows our brains to shut off before heading to bed. I think you’ll also love hearing this advice from her.
- Reading new books. This is something I try to do every night, which surely puts me to sleep quickly 😉 I love picking up new books or magazines and reading them right before bed. Last night, for example, I was catching up on my Women’s Fitness magazine. I couldn’t get through 5 pages without doozing off! Unfortunately using our phones right before bed send our brains a signal to wake up. The light from the screen has this effect on our brains, consequently by using our phones before bed, we are less likely to fall asleep faster. That’s why opting for a paper magazine or book is the perfect way to relax our minds enough so we can fall asleep faster.
- Beauty routines. A lot of women emphasized the importance of taking care of our skin before bed time, as a form of self love. Their advice is to make sure we don’t slack off and get lazy with washing our face, moisturizing, and flossing! We all have our own self care routines we follow, the point here is to ensure we don’t slack off even on busy nights! Since I wasn’t blessed with the perfect skin-gene, I make this a must for me. No matter how tired I am. I always make sure to take my make up off and go through my skin care routine. Let me know if you want me to share with you what that looks like!
- Your bedroom is your sanctuary. Vera Wang’s advice is to design our bedrooms for relaxation and comfort. That includes investing in a good fluffy pillow, bedding set, and lighting that is soothing to the eye. Brian and I invested in quite a few of these light bulbs, that allow me to set a color setting in our bedroom. I can also turn the lights on/off from my phone, so when I’m ready for bed, I don’t have to reach for the light switch. This is the easiest way to create a sanctuary bedroom, without having to re-design it all!
- Meditation. Meditation is extremely effective, and the best part is that it is FREE! This is something that Ellen DeGeneres advocates for, she believes that night-time meditating is the key to a good night of sleep. It allows us to detach ourselves from the day’s stresses and anxiety by slowing down our minds and thoughts. I actually wrote a blog post on Meditation, take a look at it here!
If you found that this post brought some kind of value into your life, make sure you share it with your friends on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram or just shoot an email to a friend and let them know you enjoyed this specific post. Encourage them to join the #SheBecameFearless community.
One more thing! Remember… go out there and be Fearless! No matter what you set your mind to, YOU CAN DO IT! Did you download my free e-book yet? I know that you’ll love it!
What are your night-time routines? What are somethings that you do for yourself regularly that help you sleep better and be more productive?